Thursday, June 21, 2007

Conversations with the Chinese... part 1

This is the first part of a series where I will detail conversations I have with Chinese people while going about my daily business. My mandarin is not the best, I will admit, however the few things I can say, I'm pretty good at and most Chinese understand me, if they are listening...

At Starbucks...

Scene: Alex and I are sitting at a table out front enjoying our drinks and chatting. A Chinese man grabs a seat at our table to stare at us and carefully study my Starbucks receipt.

Him: Helllllloooooooooooo? Heeeeeeello?
Me: *ignores him*
Him: aaaaahhhh.... ta ting bu dong (she doesn't understand)
Me: *enjoys caffeinated beverage*
Another Chinese man comes over to watch.
Him: Ni zhu zai nali a? (where do you live?) Ni shi na guo ren? (what country are you from?)
Alex: ting bu dong (I don't understand)
Him (to the second man): ooooooo ta ting de dong! (she understands!)
Alex: *laughs*
Me: *further enjoys caffeinated beverage while pretending not to understand so as to avoid having the same conversation I have with every Chinese person*

1 comment:

Paul Romein said...

haha... funny stuff

Post a Comment