Wednesday, July 04, 2007

water, water, everywhere and, well you know...

Yesterday it rained, and then it rained some more and then it continued to rain until about noon today. My kitchen floor is covered in water from a leak I can't find the source of and all around my complex is flooded, too. I saw a bunch of people building bridges over small lakes and hauling stuff out of their flooded first floor apartments. The small store that sells drinks and cigarettes and ice cream left their two freezers out and they were half submerged this morning. No doubt they will still attempt to sell this merchandise. People were having fun playing in the flood water.

I, however, possess an understanding of the Chinese sewer systems and avoided the water the same way I avoid falling into the toilet. Sure enough, as I walked to the school, I saw all the sewer lids off in an attempt to drain the water. Since the sewers are all flooded, this is useless and just allows the sewage to escape into the street. Beware the sewer "fish".

Now the sun is out and is making it unbearably humid. Another wonderful China day.

No comments:

Post a Comment